Pork Pie Drum Thrones Review
Every drummer knowns that when your buns are done, playing isn’t fun! A quality, comfortable drum throne allows you to focus on playing creatively and energetically rather than thinking about your aching backside. If the drum throne also delivers stability, smooth swiveling and quick height adjustments that stay put, you’ve got a winner.
This Pork Pie drum thrones review explores the pros and cons of the Pork Pie Round, Big Boy and the Deuce. Do they meet those requirements? We’ll find out. Here’s Pork Pie drum throne ratings for each.
The Pork Pie Round Rating
This is the basic model. Pork Pie boasts that it’s made from, “ultra heavy duty high density foam.” Sounds both comfy and durable, doesn’t it? Sitting on plenty of Rounds over the years, we’ve found this to be true. It’s supported by the brand’s standard base that is both stable and strong. The current page shows 9 different color combos plus a Round called the Gel boasting “therapeutic” gel over high-grade memory foam.
Here are Pork Pie Round pros and cons to consider:
- This model covers the basics very well starting with comfort. The Gel takes it to the next level, but the basic Round throne is quite sufficient for most drummers.
- The color options range from understated thrones like the all-black Gel and black side/tiger top model to bold orange and red/white/blue.
- Adjusting the height is quick, simple and secure.
- The Pork Pie backrest attaches easily and is quite comfortable, an accessory anyone with back issues will appreciate.
- Yes, it’s everything it should be, but Pork Pie’s “most affordable” throne costs significantly more than decent round thrones from DW, Tama and Pearl. Unless you’re sitting on it more than an hour or two at a time, you might not get your money’s worth.
Pork Pie Round Drum Throne Rating: 4 Stars
Having knocked it on cost, we should say that the Pork Pie Round is competitively priced with better round thrones like the Tama Round Rider. It offers premium performance. If that’s worth paying for, pick your color and get it ordered. You will enjoy the ride.
The Pork Pie Big Boy Rating
If you prefer the bicycle seat style, the Big Boy is another throne in the mid-to-upper range in cost. The oversized seat is designed as the name implies, but even smaller drummers won’t get lost in the saddle. There are plenty of color/design options in lineup, so you’ll find something that goes great with your drum kit aesthetics, if that’s what you’re after.
Here are Pork Pi Big Boy pros and cons from our perspective:
- The double-braced legs offer safety and stability, even for drummers topping 200lbs.
- The top is significantly broader than most thrones, so larger drummers will feel at home.
- Adjusts smoothly.
- Big Boy drum thrones with crushed velvet hold your butt securely in place; those with the urethane tops allow for sliding. Be sure to pick the right top for your style of playing.
- Generally, some guys don’t like a bicycle throne since the nose of the saddle is in exactly the wrong spot.
- Too big for most kids’ seats.
- It’s pricey. There are cheaper bicycle seat thrones, but they don’t offer this level of comfort and durability.
Pork Pie Big Boy Drum Throne Rating: 4.5 Stars
This is our top pick from Pork Pie. It delivers the right blend of comfort and stability for drummers of all shapes and sizes.
The Pork Pie Deuce Rating
Pork Pie bills its premium drum throne as, “An All Vinyl drum throne featuring a tuck and roll design that pays homage to the American Hot Rod era.” The sparkly vinyl does indeed look like muscle car custom paint jobs from the 1970s.
What about the Pork Pie Deuce pros and cons?
- Extreme comfort. 3.5 inches of HD foam topped by an inch of memory foam. Nice.
- The Deuce gets huge style points for its quilted top.
- $$$ - One of the most expensive drum thrones on the market.
- Drummers shorter than about 5’ 10” or with short legs might find that it’s too high for them. They might have to sit close to the front edge and still have their knees higher than their hips rather than the parallel positioning you want.
- Vinyl doesn’t breathe, and you might find yourself with a sweaty backside.
Pork Pie Deuce Drum Throne Rating: 3.5 Stars
If you’re a taller guy and want a supremely comfortable drum throne regardless of cost, the Deuce was made for you. That’s not the sweet spot for most drummers, so the Big Boy or Round will be a better choice.
Pork Pie Drum Thrones Overall Rating: 4 Stars
Bill Detamore, founder and president of Pork Pie, is a hands-on dude. His passion and creativity show in Pork Pie products including drum thrones. They cost more than most, but deliver more too, especially where it counts – comfort, stability and functionality. If you want a stylish throne, they cover that base beautifully too.
Order Your Pork Pie Drum Throne
Click Listings Below To Go To eBay
|Pork Pie Percussion Round Drum Throne Black Blue Swirl|
Time Remaining: 12d 21h 9m
Buy It Now for only: $189.95
|Pork Pie Big Boy Motorcycle Drum Throne Black Blue Swirl|
Time Remaining: 12d 21h 24m
Buy It Now for only: $199.95
|Pork Pie Big Boy Blue Navy Crush Drum Throne New|
Time Remaining: 23d 15h 56m
Buy It Now for only: $209.99
|Pork Pie Big Boy Silver Black Swirl Drum Throne New|
Time Remaining: 15d 12h 28m
Buy It Now for only: $209.99