ArtistWorks Jazz Drums with Peter Erskine
Every once in a while, a teaching product arrives that helps us achieve our goals of becoming better drummers and musicians. Something that either grows our current skills or awaken those not used in a while. In my opinion, ArtistWorks Jazz Drums with Peter Erskine is precisely that product!
About Peter Erskine
Peter is an active, skillful and much sought after professional. He has an extensive history and experience with renowned groups and artists. He’s worked with artists like Stan Kenton, Maynard Ferguson, Weather Report and Steely Dan. This alone is testament to his professional abilities and incredible versatility as a player.
However, even a quick peek at the free sample lessons and you’ll see he’s equally talented at teaching what he’s learned. He’s very comfortable in his own skin and puts you immediately at ease in the lessons.
About The Lessons
The Instruction is Top Notch
Peter connects with the jazz beginner, intermediate and advanced player using on-line video presentations and personal Video Exchange® feedback. He helps you up your game to become the jazz authority you want to become.
The lessons are extensive, abundant and of great value. Presented with focus on advancing players through all levels. You also get to experience the video submissions of other students. All while participating in an active community of socially networked members.
There is a lifetime of knowledge, demonstration and technique delivered by Peter in logical and progressive steps.
The Production is Stunning
The ArtistWorks Jazz Drums course content is delivered in a very polished HD video format. No odd edits that leave you wondering what happened. No audio issues either. You won’t strain to hear him, turn it up and then get plastered in the next segment! While still preserving a warm and comfortable learning experience.
Something For All Levels
For the beginner, Peter explains the importance and power of the ride cymbal in jazz. How it helps you to create your personalized, signature sound. I took great notice of the concepts, thoughts and techniques presented in the beginner classes.
For the intermediate player, Peter takes us through independence, coordination and thinking in a more compositional manner.
For the advanced player, Peter really turns it on. Covering odd time signatures, soloing, playing behind a vocalist and pursuing the styles of the giants that came before us.
For the more advanced player, these classes serve to remind and reinforce technique that we may have lost sight of along the way. By revisiting these exercises, I felt I had instantly become a more effective player.
Not Just For The Jazz Player
While the emphasis in the ArtistWorks Jazz Drums course IS on Jazz Drumming, players in all genres can gain from his teaching. The approach may change. The mindset may change. But great technique is great technique. Any player can gain from spending time being taught by Peter.
- Peter encourages and incorporates one on one development with the student through submitting personalized video content. He critiques your style, approach and beat placement where he sees it needs addressing.
- You have access to all video content submitted by all students. This both enhances your personal learning experience and offers insight as to where your overall direction should be heading.
- The video learning experience incorporates views of all four limbs simultaneously. You actively observe the full motion of all limbs at once.
- The mental aspect of learning about jazz is reinforced. It’s not just about technique.
- He reviews and demonstrates the styles of the greats that came before us.
- Peter spends a little too much time belittling other drumming books and programs on the market. Even though he’s correct, it doesn’t add to the value of the course.
- They do NOT offer refunds. While I don’t believe you will be disappointed, not all training is for everybody. However, they will allow access until the end of your current renewal period. The refund policy is explained in detail HERE.
Throughout the ArtistWorks Jazz Drums program, Peter communicates the importance of adopting and developing a jazz mindset. How to embrace the DNA of jazz. Also, how jazz is not just a genre of music, but a way of life. With your life experiences poured into it.
There is something of great significance here for every level of player. It’s affordable, self-paced, extremely well delivered and real!
The Fine Print: We are an affiliate for ArtistWorks. This means if you sign up for this course using the links in this review, we will receive compensation. We were also granted access to the program for the purpose of doing this review. No other compensation was received by us prior to reviewing the course. Neither were we in any way encouraged to come to any but our own conclusions. We at Snare Drum Reviews believe in the Peter Erskine Jazz Drums course and recommend it highly.