Sonor One of a Kind Snare Drum
The term “one of a kind” is thrown around loosely in marketing, but the Sonor One of a Kind snare drum series lives up to the billing. Each series is made in limited numbers, and all the veneer used in the series is cut from a single tree. Not one species of tree. One tree. Karl H. Menzel, managing director of Sonor, says, “For each edition a certain tree is selected with the goal to only use the most exiting parts of the grain and set them to perfect vertical grain patterns.”
That’s impressive. Menzel further stated that the trees used are sourced in Germany from suppliers that certify the trees are grown and harvested using ecofriendly practices.
Uniquely good looking and green too! All OOAK drums are built in Sonor’s factory in Bad Berleburg-Aue, Germany.
Sonor One of a Kind Snare Drum Varieties
If you’re searching for One of a Kind snares, here are the series that have been released to date:
- White Ebony (2014): 45 snares, 14×7 with 21-ply/15mm North American Maple shells and Sonor medium-white coated heads
- Red Tigerwood (2014): 75 snares, 14×6.25 with 9-ply/8mm German Beech shells and Sonor medium-white coated heads
- Macassar Ebony (2015): 80 snares, 14×6.5 with 12-ply/8mm German Beech shells and Remo heads
- Black Chacate Series (2015): 80 snares with 12-ply/7mm North American Maple shells and Remo heads
- Poisonwood Series (2016): 80 snares, 14×6 with 18-ply/12mm North American Maple shells
- Pacific Walnut Burl Series (2016): 50 snares, 14×7 with 15-ply/10mm German Beech shells
- Bocote Series (2017): 70 snares, 14×6 with 21-ply/19mm Beech shells
- Cocobolo Series (2017): 70 snares, 14×7.5 with 12-ply/7mm Birch shells
- LE Series: Cocobolo Series drums in 14×7.5 with Birch shells and 14×6 with Beech shells
Sonor One of a Kind Snare Drum Information
All drums in these series have a model number that includes OOAK.
- The series are known for having veneer grain that runs vertically to produce truly inspiring visuals. The grain positioning doesn’t affect sound, however.
- All OOAK snares are packed and shipped in the cushioned Sonor hard case that offers outstanding protection.
- Each snare is badged with the brand’s trademark mallet-shaped logo that is laser cut from preciseness.
- The case should include a Sonor “Welcome to the SONOR family” package of information.
- New Sonor One of a Kind snare models are released at the National Association of Music Merchants Show held each January.
These are artisan drums. Everything is top-shelf 100% from the shells to the hardware.
Sonor One of a Kind snares use chunky wood shells to deliver very full, rich sound tuned low or tuned high.
The looks of the drums are just as lovely as the sound
The price is high, but that’s understandable. This is the type drum you buy as a special-occasion gift for the Holidays, a birthday or Father’s Day. When the gift must be the very finest and one that is long cherished.
Overall 4.5 Stars
We’ll take half a star off for price, but that’s almost unreasonable given the nature of these rare-by-design, premium-quality snares. After all, these are not your average practice snares that drummers beat up without a lot of thought. Each Sonor One of a Kind snare drum is a collector-quality drum – heck, an heirloom-quality work of fine art!
But don’t lose sight of Sonor’s mission – to make fantastic instruments. These drums boast outstanding quality. Though our exposure to them has been limited due to their small batch numbers, what we know and what the professional drummers we trust say syncs: The sound is what as good as you’d expect it to be. We’ll have to return to these snares in five to ten years to talk about durability, since they’re newer releases.
With the use of premium materials by world-class snare drum artisans, not only will you get terrific sound for the $1,000-plus you put down on a Sonor OOAK snare, you’ll have something truly special, a drum that is part of a series like none other.
Leave a Reply